Here you can find a list with the latest changes in SMPlayer:
SMPlayer 0.8.5 has been releasedMay/09/2013The SMPlayer Team
We are glad to announce the release of smplayer 0.8.5. This new version features a fix for the option to find subtitles. Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, this option didn't work well lately. We fixed it and now smplayer can find more subtitles than ever.
Another important change, now the default interface is the skinnable interface. This change will affect only to new users, those who upgrade will maintain their preferred interface.
We also changed the default setting for the autoresize option, now the main window won't be resized automatically. This has been done to avoid the problem that may happen when playing HD videos, since the main window could end up partially outside of the screen.
Some other configuration options have been changed, like the cache settings, to try to improve performance when playing from slow media, like internet URLs.
We also added an option for the playlist which allows to enter URLs.
We would like to remind that we also release a package for Windows with MPlayer2. MPlayer2 has additional features like support for mkv ordered chapters, bugfixes and other improvements. It's worth to try it.
Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, smplayer couldn't find
subtitles anymore. This has been fixed.
The interface with support for skins is now the default.
An option to enter url(s) in the playlist has been added.
The options to change the size of the main window work now
even if the autoresize is set to never.
Two new options for Audio -> Stereo mode: Mono and Reverse.
The option "Move the window when the video area is dragged" is
now disabled by default because it has some issues that need to
(Linux) The problem with mplayer2 and the -fontconfig option has been
fixed (sort of).
New translation: Malay.
Some configuration options are changed to new defaults after installation
to ease upgrade from old versions.
- New option to select the fps for external subtitles.
- The video equalizer dialog has been rewritten and now
it allows to switch on/off the software equalizer from there.
- Now smplayer checks for updates automatically and notifies the user if
a new version is found.
- Support for encoding ISO-8859-16 for subtitles.
- The support for MPlayer2 has been improved and now we provide an optional
package for Windows which includes MPlayer2. MPlayer2 has interesting new
features like support for mkv ordered chapters and precise seeks.
- New translations: Thai and Hebrew.
- Some bugfixes.
Fix for Youtube playback.
- A skinnable interface has been added. Several skins are included.
- Support for 6.1 and 7.1 audio output.
- A "Privacy" section in the preferences dialog has been added. You can
disable saving the recent files or URLs.
- The main window can be moved by dragging the video area.
- Fix for a freeze that may happen on Windows XP.
- (Windows) The font cache is created before showing the GUI.
Youtube browser changesVersion 1.7.
- The recently featured video list has been replaced by a list of
top rated music videos.
- New translations: Czech, Malay, Swedish, Turkish, Finnish and Georgian.
- The most popular video list is now refreshed.
- The most viewed video list has been replaced for recently featured
(the most viewed list is deprecated by youtube).
- The list of recordings is now saved.
- A button has been added to open the list of recordings.
- New translations: Hebrew, Portuguese (Brazil), Ukrainian and Norwegian Nynorsk.
- Adapt for Youtube changes.
- Bugfix: there were some missing KB on the downloaded videos.
- The Greek translation has been added.
- Remember position and size.
- New option for command line: -lang. Allows to select the language.
- Show a tooltip with the title of the video.
- Update for Youtube changes.
- Usability improvements.
Learn interesting things about SMPlayer in our blog