SMPlayer can now work with both MPlayer and mpv. But... what are MPlayer and mpv?
SMPlayer can't play media files on its own. It runs a multimedia engine to play the media. Until now SMPlayer has been using exclusively MPlayer as multimedia engine. But now it's possible to use mpv as well.
What is mpv?mpv
is based on MPlayer and provides new features and bug fixes.
Some of its most interesting features:
Click here for a detailed list of the mpv features
- Possibilitat de mostrar dos subtítols alhora
- Play videos from video sites, like Youtube, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Vevo and many more.
- Support for MKV ordered chapters
- Precise seeking
- Native support for VAAPI and VDA. Improved VDPAU
- Better support for taking screenshots
- Frame back step
How to install mpv
The Windows installer gives the possibility to choose which multimedia engine should be installed. Just click on "Multimedia engine" and be sure mpv is selected.
Visit http://mpv.io/installation/ to get the latest version of mpv for your distro.
Users of Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) and 14.04 (Trusty) can get mpv 0.15.0 from this PPA.
How to enable mpv in SMPlayer
To use mpv instead of MPlayer, open the SMPlayer preferences dialog and
select mpv as multimedia engine in the General tab.